Sunday, January 15, 2012

Catching Up

So a lot of blog worthy things have happened since my last post but I've failed to blog about them lol.
Around two weeks from now I will be starting classes and attending freshman orientation at BC (CUNY Brooklyn College). I'll be commuting there this semester (:P).. which is a bit of a battle lost but like most things, and hopefully for all the things that follow, I'll strive to make the best of it and be open to a good turn of events.
The commute is on the longer side but I'll look to it with an adventurous spirit. My brother got me a great new timbuk2 school bag. If you haven't heard of them they are notable brand that specializes in bags for commuters and students. They are a little pricey compared to, say, something you probably used in high school, but they are supposed to be quality, utility, and very durable with a hint of the creative/artistic. Mine is pretty cool looking as it was customized. It's the classic, medium size, messenger bag, model.
Besides that, I also got a, Takeya brand, glass water bottle. Again, a little more than some people would spend on a water bottle but I thought it would be a good investment because it's BPA free, environmentally friendly, chic looking, and doesn't effect the taste of the water (as plastic and stainless steal bottles do) which I'm pretty picky about. Plus, I really did need something to take with me to school. One downside, though, is that it's a little bit heavy.

Alright, back to events.!
On the 10th I went to my registration appointment at BC. I got photo student ID card as well as my schedule for classes, and bill for the semester. The damage wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.. actually tuition (after financial aid) cost about as much as I thought it would but I was still relieved to see the amount on paper.
It was a little over 1,000 dollars which is still nothing to scoff at but I think I've received Christmas presents that added up to more or the same as that.

I was a tad disappointed that there wasn't much socializing at the registration day. When waiting in the library for things to start, the other students didn't talk to each other. I thought about saying something but didn't and at the time I wasn't completely sure that they were all incoming freshman until later on.
At the end, I did manage to say 'Hi' and introduce myself to one girl when we were sent to another building to complete our registration. Her name was Carlina and she seemed really friendly and nice. I definitely regret not initiating contact with her sooner as well as not taking any contact information from her before I left.!

Sigh, time is going slow/fast motion right now. I'll be starting at BC in about two weeks but right now I just feel static, waiting. I'm going to pay my tuition after I call the financial aid office about the status of my FAFSA verification. I might actually qualify for a Pell grant (really hope so).
On the other hand I really hope nothing goes wrong and that they don't end up taking away any of my aid or something. I'm also going to inquire about the work study program. I don't plan on keeping my job at Pier 1 (much to my mother's dissatisfaction) but I'd like to work on campus, to earn money, but to also be more involved in the school and have more reasons to spend time there.
Really need to spring clean my room!

No comments:

Post a Comment